WHERE AM I?

WHERE AM I?

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Naming

I think naming is one of the most important processes of writing. I'm unsure as to why that is, but I know that when I'm reading a book, if something has an awesome name I'll be more interested. It is the way of things.

Take for instance Mass Effect. 'Prothean' is a made up word, yet it has the connotation that the Protheans are an ancient, peace-loving peoples. Maybe not peace-loving, but the name doesn't have a hard consonant in it that indicates evil-ness.

Anyways, I've mostly completed the process of naming. I've come up with a name for our aliens, which can be shortened to something I really like. I also decided to stick with the word 'Dominion'. IHM and I also changed the names up a bit for two of the main characters. Sometimes it is appropriate to name someone something that will strike fear into your heart, and other times you should give them such an average name that you're taken aback by what kind of person they really are.

In any case, the plot synopsis has been completed and we are moving on to the next stage. I'll probably be compiling a list of technology (that's what I'm best at, I mean I am an aerospace engineer in training) later today by looking at today's technology and advancing it to whatever tickles my fancy. Oh, it will tickle.

No comments:

Post a Comment